The Shaftesbury School Foundation is a registered charity (no. 306216). The job of the Foundation is to manage the assets and income of the charity to benefit current and former students of Shaftesbury School. This includes the current Shaftesbury School and the former Shaftesbury Grammar School for boys and Shaftesbury High School for girls.
Many people do not realise that Shaftesbury School has a proud heritage going back to 1718 when the original ‘Blue Coat School’ was founded in Shaftesbury (at the site of The Retreat B&B). The school was funded by an endowment from William Lush, whose foresight and generosity are much appreciated. It is this original endowment that forms the basis of the Foundation’s assets today.
The Foundation owned land and buildings in and around Shaftesbury. For example, you can find an entry in the London Gazette of 1846 citing the use of a Foundation-owned field in Motcombe for running a railway branch line from Gillingham to Shaftesbury. The Foundation also owned the land now occupied by the Abbey View Medical Centre.